Monday, December 10, 2012

Weekend Trip - Ie Island

Last Saturday, I had the amazing opportunity to travel to a nearby island and help teach English. We were a group of 5 teachers from OCSI. We traveled about an hour north to a port where we were to board the ferry. I was SO excited! We boarded the ferry and I could not sit still.

I quickly left to explore the boat. The ferry ride was really nice, about 30 minutes and we landed on Ie Island. The island is fairly small, I think I heard 4,200 residents. There is one rock mountain in the middle of the island and the rest is flat. On the island there is one church (other than one Catholic church and supposedly some Jehovah's Witness). We were met by the pastor of the church. He runs a Kumon on his church property and that is the way he makes a living since only about 10 people attend the church.

First, we taught elementary students which included 9 students. Their English level was limited so we taught on family, played a bingo game, and made a Christmas wreath. Next, we taught 6 adults while we fellowshiped over lunch. It was so great to be with these people and share my time and smile with them.

Before heading home on the ferry, we toured the island. You could easily drive around it in 30 minutes. We went to the only mountain on the island. There was stairs that could be walked all the way to the top. The view was amazing! You could see all 360 degrees around the island. We then visited a few more sites including caves and monuments and hopped on the last ferry out.

The day was rainy and hazy but so neat to visit another island. I'm looking forward to going back! I'll definitely bring my bike next time and ride around the island. :)

Blessings,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment