Thursday, June 23, 2011

A new gift

So I may have discovered a new gift, a new talent that I never knew before. It never made an appearance before because the circumstances that I was in didn't allow for me to expound on this gift. Just at the right time in my life, it appeared, bursting forth with creativity. Isn't if funny how something in life don't have much of an impact until it hits you, right at that time in life that you don't expect it yet it was only in the time, not any others that it makes such a great impact. What I said just now probably doesn't make any sense to anyone reading, but at least I tried to explain it even if it's hard to explain.

So on to the new gift: COOKING!

Growing up, I would help mommy in the kitchen once in a while but I never experimented with recipes or didn't every on my own to into the kitchen to make things. By the time I reached high school, I was too busy with school that I didn't have any time them either. While in college in the dorms, I didn't have any necessary ingredients or any kitchen supplies to even attempt making anything other than curry rice (which I made quite a few times for birthdays and such).

But now is the time. 1. I'm in my own trailer with my own kitchen, own refrigerator, own food, own will power to not starve. 2. It's summer break and even though I'm in classes and I work some nights, I still have time for lunch and weekends.

So with all these elements coming together, I have discovered that I actually enjoy cooking and it sparks my creative juices to come up with my own creations that are yummy. It started a few posts ago about the pasta with olive oil and spinach and tomatoes. Another night, I mixed a bunch of left overs together for a concoction. Well today a few of my friends came over for lunch at our trailer and though each had their own lunch, I didn't know what to eat. All I knew is that I had spinach quickly rotting in the fridge and raw chicken in the fridge I needed to use up.

At the little Italian Kitchen where I work, they serve a dish called Stuffed Chicken with Gouda Cheese. It's quite delicious. So with that as my bottom level motivation, I went to work. (not knowing of course at ALL what I was doing or how it would turn out)

First I cooked the spinach in olive oil like my mom does at home.
Next I drizzled some olive oil in a pan. The chicken I had was thin sliced chicken breasts (it was on sale). I laid a chicken slice on the pan. Then I laid the cooked spinach on top. Then I sprinkled some cheese on top of the spinach. Then I laid the 2nd strip of chicken on the very top and topped it with parmesan cheese and regular cheese. Then I drizzled a little more olive oil on top and baked it for 15 min at 350 degrees.

I watched it a few time to make sure it was okay and when I pulled it out, the chicken looked done. I cut a piece off to try it and amazingly, it was delicious! I had two of my friends try it and they both agreed.

I was impressed that I even thought of that idea! I realized that cooking is kind of like sewing to me. Sometimes I'll just sit and envision how to sew something. I'll go through all the steps in my head and break it down to the very root of how to sew it. So now with cooking, my mind did the same and got me to this new delicious discovery. :) All I can do is thank God for giving me this ability and a chance for me to use it for His glory!
















Belly full,
Sarah

1 comment:

  1. oh wow, love your new background! Good to hear you're enjoying cooking, in general I hate it, but every once in awhile I surprise myself, and Dale, and get a little creative. That's fun! You and Ian should have fun this fall, he likes cooking too. By the way, do you need any corning ware or pans? My mother has some stuff she's trying to get rid of and I thought you might like it.

    ReplyDelete