Friday, June 10, 2011

Of mice and curiosity

Yesterday, our teacher talked a lot about curiosity. He read from a book where the author encouraged everyone to foster their curiosity and to find something each day that brings awe or curiosity of amazement of something and write it down. So I decided I want to do that. BUT not in the way that events played out this week.

Curiosity #1 Sunday: Bird Poop
Sunday was my birthday! I turned a big 22 years old. It was a really great birthday with some breakfast made by my best friend, some fun times with the kids at West Towne Christian Church, yummy lunch at Puelo’s Grill, a movie, and taco rice with some good friends. After the taco rice, I walked over to our neighbor’s house to borrow a lighter for the candle for my cake. As I was walking back across the road, I felt something hit my shoulder. I wasn’t sure what it was but I looked over and THERE WAS BIRD POOP ON MY SHOULDER!!!! I looked up and sure enough, a crow was sitting on the line, one lonely crow, just sitting there and POOPING ON ME!!! Well I ran back to the trailer laughing and crying, to get this mug shot taken of me.



Curiosity #2 Monday: Mouse
Monday morning, as I was getting ready for bed, I hear a scream from the kitchen. I go out to see my housemate telling me to look in a jar of lard sitting on the counter. This lard was from the ground beef the day before and it was in a glass jar without a lid. I went and looked in and saw something brownish blackish. I didn’t know what it was and didn’t want to know. I looked again and it moved. My thoughts were poop? Frog? Mushroom? Finally from the side, I realized… IT WAS A MOUSE!!! THERE WAS A MOUSE SITTING IN THAT JAR OF LARD!!! All three of us freak out and so I put a plate over the top so it won’t come out. It was clearly stuck and couldn’t move much in the lard. We knew it was trash day so we needed to transport the jar outside. Danielle and Julia voted me to do the job :P With the camera rolling, I picked up the jar and ran it outside. Maika came over to investigae our screaming. Finally the trash guys came so we ran to them with our dilemma. I brought a container with a lid and they transfer our furry little friend into the container and they said they would let it go far away. Unfortunately this event made us all 1. Late for class. 2 Scared of mice in our house, it was a very funny and exciting moment of laughter and adrenaline.

hi little mousy mousy
if you have facebook, you should watch the video that my friend took of me taking the jar outside!


Curiosity #3 Tuesday: Green Pepper
Tonight, I went into work at the Little Italian Kitchen where I have been working for a few months now. It was really slow the whole night so I helped prepare for the next day by cutting up green peppers. The neat thing about the restaurant is that every  thing is fresh and homemade. So I would cut the green pepper in half and cut out the seeds. These were really big green peppers and when I cut on open, the seeds were pinkish and looked like a flower. I just stood and marveled at how beautiful the inside of this green pepper looked! I walked over to another worker and showed him the inside and told him to look at how beautiful it was! He kind of looked at me weird. I love how even simple things like green peppers can make me marvel of how beautiful God’ creation is. I want to always show people and make them see even just a little curiosity in it’s simplest.



Curiosity #4 Wednesday: Beaver (or gopher… not sure which one)
As Claire and I were driving to Kroger tonight, Claire exclaimed that she saw a beaver or a gopher on the side of the road. We turned around and drove past it 2 more times just to look at it. It was right on the side of a country road sitting up and eating grass. Not usually do we see wildlife that isn’t road-kill.



Sharing the curiosity,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment